Wednesday, May 30, 2007

So I'm not so weird...

I was reading one of the sections in John Piper's book "The Passion of Christ" and I realised that maybe I am not a weird Christian.

I know that as a Christian we are supposed to look forward to going to heaven and spending eternity with God. However, I just can't build up very much enthusiasm for dying, and I thought that that was maybe not quite right for a Christian to feel that way, but John Piper put it so beautifully. (You'll have to read it to get the beauty - I'm not so good with words!) But basically it went along the lines of "we want to live - until something bad happens - then we want relief from the bad - which means dying - but if we get relief from the bad then we no longer want to die". God has put eternity in our hearts so it is "normal" that we want to live.

However, we should still be looking forward to eternity. And one of the things Piper said that made me see it slightly differently is that he used the verse "no eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared" (extremely paraphrased!) So it is no wonder that I can't imagine it or realise how amazing it will be, because "mind has conceived".

WOW...

No comments: