Monday, July 30, 2007

Challenging sermons

Yesterday I went to both the morning and evening services at my church and took away some challenges from them both.

The senior pastor spoke in the morning and spoke about pride. Some of the things I took away with me were:
My attitude towards Bible Study - thinking that "I've heard all this before" is a prideful attitude. We should be learning new things from "old" passages. The treasures in the Bible and in each passage are immense. Who am I to think that I know it all?

Also, being anxious about stuff and not praying about it means that I don't think God is capable of helping me - that everything rests on me and not God - again that is a prideful attitude.

Another interesting thing was his comment about the things that take up our thoughts and time. There are apparently 3 things that are generally to blame: entertainment, sport and music. We were challenge to NOT talk about these during coffee after the service. Quite a good point and I must say it was rewarding to do that, as we then chatted a bit about the sermon.

The evening service was taken by the associate pastor and the topic was the tongue. What hit home was his comment that our technology that we use to communicate is part of our tongue. ie. e-mails, sms's, sametime, facebook etc. And is it glorifying to God?

No comments: