Monday, May 12, 2008

On a silver platter...

I feel like my life has been handed back to me on a Silver Platter at the moment. I feel like I’m at a sort of cross roads like the one you have when you leave Matric. It feels like the world is there before you and there are so many choices you have. You can choose what to make of it, what direction to go and life is full of promise.

This is where I’m at at the moment. I know it won’t last – just like the matric feeling didn’t last. What is the reason for this feeling? Well a number of things have contributed to it I guess.

One of which was working so many long, late hours at work, when an 11 hour work day was considered leaving work “early”. These long hours were not healthy by any means, but certainly helped make me aware of how precious those hours after work are and what is important in life. Those hours are over now (mainly) and it feels like I’ve been given extra hours in the day.

Another thing that helped is that I went away on holiday to Wyndford Holiday Farm and was able to have limited cellphone reception, fresh air, healthy food, exercise and time to read and think.

I’m reading a book called “Keep Climbing” by Gail MacDonald. My mom gave it to me ages ago to read (by ages I really mean a year or two or three!!) and I wasn’t interested in reading it. I guess it was not where I was at that stage. But now, I’m reading it and getting good info out of it. Practical Advice. I like practical things.

At work my boss was discussing informally with me some of the goals he would like to have for my development and it made me really excited. It feels like I can take this job to whatever level I would like. I can develop and grow. One of the exciting things that he mentioned was that I need to spend 2 days a month at the terminals. There are 2 terminals in Richards’ Bay, 6 in Durban, 1 in East London, 2 in PE, 2 in Cape Town and 2 in Saldahna. This could be a bit of an annoyance at times I’m sure, as it will take me out of my comfort zone and there’ll be times that I have my own non-work events that may not be able to happen, but for the most part it’s an opportunity to learn and travel. (and I have GPS now :) )

I might even be able to organize that I go to a particular terminal on the Thursday and Friday and then Andrew joins me for a weekend wherever it may be.

I also had lunch with some of the Directors from my old job on Friday and it was invigorating. It made me realize how far I’ve come in such a short period of time, how far I have to go and what is possible for someone to accomplish. The lunch made me feel appreciated and it felt like a lunch with friends or family. They were people from the world I know.

Although I love the work I’m doing in my new job, it doesn’t feel like a family to me. I don’t know if it ever will, but I think I’m going to see if the guys I work closest with want to do something social together sometime.

I’ve been scrapbooking again at home now and I’ve got a couple of plans to have dinner with friends. I’ve started going to gym again and everything feels good and full of hope.

I’m still deciding whether to continue with the studies I started at Bible College. It took me a whole year to complete one assignment from one module. This year doesn’t appear to be going any better. Do I try carry on this year, or do I call it a day?

It is also beautiful weather outside in a beautiful land…

1 comment:

Andrew said...

Hi Honey

I am so proud of you especially the way you handled all the work stress. Glad that things are so positive at the moment too.