Monday, May 19, 2008

Snootiness Levels

I was just considering today at where I am in life work-wise. I've moved from the professional, corporate environment, where casual wear was considered anything less than a suit and now I'm in an environment where Fridays are casual day - meaning jeans - even at our Head Office in Joburg.

The training today was a little different from training I'm used to. The level of training and the trainer was as professional as I'm used to, however the attendees were very different to the corporate professional world.

It is interesting sharing a training session with the Shop Stewards of the Unions. Very Interesting. We were trained on what the Unions rights and responsibilities are as well as what management's rights and responsibilities are. There were some areas that the Shop Stewards didn't like - but the agreement was reached between Management and the Unions so they have to abide by it anyway. Some ways of thinking needs a lot to make it change.

There is a perception that if things are not spelt out 100% then management will exploit it.The word "reasonable" caused lots of issues.

Also, there are two ends of the spectrum with regard to decision making. Management can either dictate that the way things are going to be are X. Or Management can enter into negotiations with the Union and only make a decision if the Union agrees. And then somewhere inbetween they can enter into consultations with the Union ie. They honestly seek the Unions agreement and opinion and try to keep everyone happy, but at the end of the day Management make the decision.

The Union guys did not like the last option as they felt too many structure had this form of decision making - and I was of the opinion that Management was really cool to be allowing so much discussion. The Union just doesn't appear to see that Management are employed and paid a salary to make decisions and to guide the company and they are not (although there are always exceptions I guess) out to get the employees and have it in for them.

Lunch time was also a little strange. I left my jacket over the chair and my bag on the chair and went and got food with a colleague. By the time we came back two other guys were at our table. So, thinking it would be extremely rude for us to move to another table we sat down with our food and the other two said "hi" and then proceeded to talk in another language to each other the whole way through lunch. What on earth???!!!!! That is so rude. Nevertheless we enjoyed the food and the view. It was nice being out the office.

1 comment:

Joss said...

Unions are always interesting :) As for lunch... sheesh. People!