Sunday, April 8, 2007

A tiny grain of understanding...

As a Christian I've been brought up knowing that all people are sinful.

I do not disagree with this statement at all. The Bible teaches it, I know I am nasty and horrible at times, I can see babies are sinful from birth as they automatically know how to do wrong things without being taught.

But what did puzzle me a bit was how to identify my sin. It is entirely possible that you may have gone through a day without disrespecting anyone, without telling a lie, without doing anything bad towards anyone, without being selfish etc. So how then do you identify any sins you have committed during the day in order to confess them before God and repent of them when you don't exactly know what it is that you have done wrong? You just know that you must have done something wrong because all humans are sinful.

Well, today during the Easter Sunday sermon I gained a grain of insight into this when the pastor said that humans often think that they are the most important person in their life. Suddenly it made a little more sense to me. I sin everytime God is not the most important person/thing/goal in my life.

Everyday it is really easy to identify when God has not been the most important person in my life. Somedays I don't even speak to him, other days I see his awesome creation on my way to work as the sun shines through the clouds over the sea.

What a challenge to make God the most important in your life. Something that I definitely can't do in my own strength.

No comments: