Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Managing Idols

I want to be a good manager at work. But some days it is enough of a mission for me to make it through the day without getting upset with someone - usually it is someone who is phoning me or e-mailing me, rather than someone in the office I work with. The phonecalls and e-mails are amazing - never a dull moment with their requests - no opportunity to plan, cos all plans go awry from about 8am...

At the moment things are amazingly calm though. On Friday I hit a patch where I had run out of adrenaline so that was why I was calm, but the last two days have been different. It is closer to a real calm. But things are really busy.

My team are under a lot of pressure, and instead of focusing on my pressures I'm starting to look out for them. I want their work lives to be busy but not stressed. And to get to the point where they leave on time.

I'm battling to spend time in God's Word - In the morning I'm rushing to get to work as early as possible to clear the backlog and in the evening I'm too tired to concentrate on anything. This morning I read a little devotional and it spoke about anything being an idol that takes attention away from God.

This is something I'm going to have to consider in connection with work... much food for thought.

No comments: