Sunday, June 8, 2008

Things have changed...

Since the last blog post, I'm now walking around with my head in the clouds and have the very pleasant prospect of becoming a MRS early next year. Yip, I'm now engaged!

We had chatting about marriage and watched some John Piper sermons about marriage and it was not a foreign concept to us, but I was taken a bit by surprise never-the-less. We had been dating for over 3 years and I was starting to wonder as to when he was going to pop the question.

During the week, we went to Mugg and Bean and were chatting along the way. I told Andrew that one of the guys from work had asked when I was going to get married and was full of advice - that I didn't pass on to Andrew - as I figured it wasn't going to happen any time soon and I was pretty sure he'd have his own ideas. During the discussion, Andrew totally put me off the scent so I didn't think anything was going to happen.

He had mentioned previously that he wanted to go to some restaurants with good service, and maybe go once a month. So it wasn't altogether weird when he suggested the Revolving Restaurant on the Saturday. The thought did cross my mind (and was quickly banished) as to whether he was trying to trick me and that he may propose there. On the Saturday when I saw him he had shaved his beard (which he knows I don't like) so that made me suspicious again, but then I remembered the Tuesday night conversation on the way to Mugg and Bean.

On the way to the Revolving Restaurant Andrew kept looking at me so I wondered what was up. When we got there and found our table there was no big sign "Will you marry me?" or anything like that so I totally relaxed and forgot about everything else and just enjoyed the view and the grapetizer.

All of a sudden, Andrew moved his chair backwards and behind him came a clanging sound. The waiters had put a wine cooler too close to his chair, so he had knocked it over. The waiter then had to come and clean up.

At this point, Andrew - for the first time - started to look uncomfortable and it looked like he was hiding something under the table, and it sounded like a ring box opening and closing - but I didn't have any time to really process it as he got up and came around the table, got down on one knee and asked me to marry him :) I was still rather shocked and had to consider his proposal before saying "YES"! He had bought a beautiful diamond ring that morning, after asking my dad's permission to marry me, so there we were, too excited to eat and looking at this beautiful diamond ring on the table between us!

I must say that although I was excited on the Saturday, I was also a bit nervous. Getting married is something that is forever. But then when you remember that it is God's grace that keeps you through all the good times and the bad and that this is your best friend that you are talking about, the person who shares your dreams and has the same values, the person you trust with your confidences, the person who with one hug can make everything better then it all becomes exciting and now I can't wait to get married!

1 comment:

Bobsie Hunter said...

So happy for you Debs (& Andrew) Love you LOTS. Enjoy the preparation despite it feeling a 'little' stressful at times - it is YOUR day!
Barbara